The most amazing crispy roasted cabbage that’s ready in less than 20 minutes. You will never want to eat cabbage any other way after trying this!
Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Recipe
Roasted cabbage will make you reevaluate your relationship with this often overlooked vegetable. It turns out crispy, addictively tasty, and makes one amazing side dish. It’s right up there with Roasted Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Carrots.
If you aren’t roasting your cabbage, I am here to convince you it’s time to start. It comes out browned and nutty and super delicious. So push out your memories or sad, soggy boiled cabbage and get prepared to fall in love with cabbage. It’s seriously game changer when it comes to cooking cabbage.
Before we start throwing cabbage under the bus, let’s take a minute to reflect on cabbage’s close relative – Brussels sprouts. Up until a few years ago, Brussels sprouts were the pretty much the butt of every vegetable joke and thought to be a mushy, bland veggie that no one would choose to eat. Then everyone started roasting it and all the sudden Brussels sprouts were on every menu and something people couldn’t get enough. Me included – I never ate Brussels sprouts before and now they are one of my favorite veggies.
So now let’s talk cabbage. Cabbage and Brussels sprouts come from the same family and have a similar flavor. So if you like roasted Brussels sprouts, you will almost definitely also like roasted cabbage. It almost like a milder Brussel sprout and super tasty.
The other huge benefit of cabbage – it is so much easier to prepare. You don’t have to clean, trim, and chop a bunch of sprouts. Instead, just a few slices into a head of cabbage and your prep work is done. Plus cabbage is super affordable and readily available all year long. Are you convinced yet?
One more thing, there are two traditional ways to roast cabbage – in cabbage slices (steaks) or in wedges. Today I am sharing the sliced version since it results in the most crispiness. However, you will find instructions below for roasting cabbage wedges as well.
How to Roast Cabbage Slices
For the crispiest option with the most browned edges, you will want to make cabbage steaks. Here’s how:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage if necessary.
- Slice the cabbage into horizontal slices that are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush the steaks with olive oil on both sides. Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
- Roast for 14-17 minutes until the cabbage is tender and the edges are browned and almost burnt.
How to Roast Cabbage Wedges
Another option for roasting cabbage is to make wedges. The wedges tend to stay together better than the steaks and are prettier for presentation purposes. They also provide a crispy outside and really tender inside, which some people prefer to the crispier cabbage you get in slices. Here’s what to do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove any browned outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Start by cutting the cabbage in half through the core. Then slice each half into 3-4 wedges. You will have 6-8 total wedges.
- Brush the cabbage wedges with olive oil on both sides and season with salt, pepper, and any other spices.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast for about 20 minutes total, flipping halfway through.
Roasted Cabbage Recipe Ideas
- Balsamic: In addition to the olive oil, brush the cabbage with balsamic vinegar as well. You can also drizzle balsamic vinegar of balsamic glaze on top before serving.
- Asian: Brush the cabbage with Hoisin sauce before roasting or drizzle with soy sauce when it comes out of the oven.
- Spicy: Sprinkle the cabbage with some roasted red pepper flakes and garlic powder before roasting it.
- With onions: Slice up some red or sweet onions and roast them on the baking sheet with the cabbage.
- Parmesan: Add some grated Parmesan cheese to the cabbage slices right before serving. Consider squeezing some lemon on top as well.
- Bacon: Chop up a few pieces of center cut bacon and roast it alongside the cabbage. This is super delicious.
- Garlic: Crush a garlic clove using the side of a knife. Then rub the cabbage with the garlic clove before roasting.
Ways to Use Roasted Cabbage
This cabbage makes the perfect side dish, but there are also lots of other ways to utilize for meals and meal prep.
- As a pasta replacement: If you get sick of spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles, consider swapping in these roasted cabbage strands. Slice the cabbage in thin steaks and once it is roasted, you can twirl it right up like pasta.
- With pasta: This is one of my favorite things to toss with pasta. Usually, I grab some pasta, cooked turkey or chicken sausage, and roasted cabbage. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some fresh lemon juice for a super tasty meal.
- Meal prep: This is a great veggie to make for meal prep since it keeps well after a few days in the fridge. Make a batch of brown rice and top it with edamame, carrots, and roasted cabbage. Add some chicken or tofu and top with an Asian dressing.
- As a vegetarian main course: Instead of making cauliflower steak, consider making a cabbage steak instead. Top it with pesto, chimichurri, or some feta cheese and lemon.